Best 8mm Film to Digital Conversion Equipment (Reviews)
You’ve probably inherited a box of old 8mmm film or stumbled upon the film roll that your grandparents or parents tucked away in the attic or garage.
These films were a must-have somewhere in the second half of the 20th century. They were a phenomenal way of preserving precious memories for generations down the road.
So, it’s no surprise that you desire to convert 8mm film to a digital format which can then be stored, watched, and edited indefinitely.
You and future generations can take an infinite number of trips down memory lane.
What You Need For the 8mm Film Conversion
You can go about the conversion process in different ways.
- White Card Method: The film is projected onto a unique white card by a projector.
- Film Transfer Box: An angled mirror sits in a box on which the film is projected.
- Film Scanning: It entails using automated gadgets for the digitization of the reels. It’s the most straightforward and time-efficient way to conduct a seamless conversion of 8mm film to a digital format.
However, with the barrage of automated gadgets that have engulfed today’s market, selecting the best one can be challenging.
To the unfamiliar eye, they’re all the same. So, we’ll explore the best conversion equipment to buy, that’ll give you value for your money. Read on!
The Top 8mm Film to Digital Conversion Equipment
Wolverine 8mm and Super 8 Film Reel Converter Scanner
|View on Amazon|
Wolverine F2D Mighty 20MP 7-in-1 Film to Digital Converter
|View on Amazon|
KODAK SCANZA Digital Film & Slide Scanner
|View on Amazon|
Wolverine Titan 8-in-1 High-Resolution Film to Digital Converter
|View on Amazon|
Magnasonic All-in-One High-Resolution 22MP Film Scanner
|View on Amazon|
8mm & Super 8 Reels to Digital MovieMaker Film Scanner
|View on Amazon|
KODAK Mini Digital Film & Slide Scanner
|View on Amazon|
Table of Contents
- 1 What You Need For the 8mm Film Conversion
- 2 Wolverine 8mm and Super 8 Film Reel Converter Scanner – The Ideal Product for Topnotch Digital Conversion
- 3 Wolverine F2D Mighty 20MP 7-in-1 Film to Digital Converter – The Perfect Solution to Convert Any Film in Seconds
- 4 KODAK SCANZA Digital Film & Slide Scanner – A Powerful Scanner That Turns 8mm Film to Digital Files in a Jiffy
- 5 Wolverine Titan 8-in-1 High-Resolution Film to Digital Converter – The Perfect Device to Preserve Your Memories Easier and Faster Than Ever
- 6 Magnasonic All-in-One High-Resolution 22MP Film Scanner – A Superb Product That Delivers Impressive Results
- 7 8mm & Super 8 Reels to Digital MovieMaker Film Scanner – The Dynamic Duo of Versatility and Excellent Quality
- 8 KODAK Mini Digital Film & Slide Scanner – Film to Digital Conversion Made Easy and Affordable
- 9 The Benefits
- 10 FAQ
- 11 The Bottom Line
Wolverine 8mm and Super 8 Film Reel Converter Scanner – The Ideal Product for Topnotch Digital Conversion
Are you on the quest for affordability and efficiency rolled into one? Then the Wolverine Digitizer is right up your alley. It churns out high definition (HD) footage with a resolution of up to 960 X 720 dpi at a fast rate of 30 frames per second. Armed with a 3.53MP 1/3″ CMOS sensor, the device converts photons to electrons and is compatible with 5-inch or 3-inch reels. The converter also furnishes users with topnotch exposure control as they have free rein to manually or automatically set the controls.
Once the device has begun processing the film, the footage is stored onto a 32-GB memory card until it’s ready for transfer or viewing. The Wolverine Converter also has a USB 2.0 port which allows you to effortlessly link it to your PC or TV-Out port for the video display.
It’s a simple device that’ll convert your 8mm films into a digital format, in a jiffy. Just like a generic projector, all you have to do is mount the 5-inch or 3-inch reel, jerk in a memory card, click a few controls, and you’re good to go. The digital converter pays for itself factoring in that most photo labs today charge more than a dollar to convert one foot of film. Nonetheless, you’ll need to keenly monitor the device to stop the splices from getting caught up.
- Impressive video quality
- Protects the reels from damage
- Plays footage at a fast rate
- Compatible with 5-inch or 3-inch reels
- Occasional jumpy video conversion
Wolverine F2D Mighty 20MP 7-in-1 Film to Digital Converter – The Perfect Solution to Convert Any Film in Seconds
It has the uncanny ability to work with several film types such as 8mm. Like other topnotch digitizers in the market, this handy device allows you to view your converted footage on the F2D. It’s armed with a 2.4” color screen from which you can delight in the digitized videos. The Wolverine F2D Mighty 20MP 7-in-1 Film to Digital Converter stores the footage onto a memory card until it’s ready for viewing or editing. It also allows you to modify the exposure coupled with the color balance manually or automatically, based on your preference.
It’s the go-to product if you have no experience with films or reels as it’s simple to use. With just one touch of a button and no additional software required, you can convert your film into digital footage in seconds. And, you can use the device right off the bat by plugging it into a generic USB port or AC outlet. However, keep in mind that you may experience inconsistent color quality or grainy footage at times.
- Comes with slide inserts for quicker conversion
- Ideal for those with no experience in filming
- Compatible with Mac and Windows PCs
- Frames can be reassembled into motion pictures
- Digital footage can appear grainy at times
KODAK SCANZA Digital Film & Slide Scanner – A Powerful Scanner That Turns 8mm Film to Digital Files in a Jiffy
Some of the key features that make this handy gadget stand out from the rest are the angled 3.5″ LCD and video out, coupled with USB and HDMI connectivity. Packed with a high resolution of 4320 X 2880 dpi that can get up to 5728 X 3824, the device is easy to use. With a single press operation, the KODAK SCANZA Digital Film & Slide Scanner is unarguably one of the easiest options to buy. You can conveniently modify the color quality, contrast, exposure, and brightness courtesy of the blue, green, and red levels included thereby generating excellent scan quality.
You can’t go wrong with the KODAK SCANZA Digital Film & Slide Scanner if you’re looking for a product that’ll get the job done in a jiffy. Along with being extrapolated to a high resolution of 5728 X 3824, the device comes with a tilted 3.5” LCD screen. But, it can only convert film to JPEG format.
- High performance
- Facilitates USB and HDMI connectivity
- Easy to use
- Can be extrapolated to a resolution of 5728 X 3824
- Comes with an angled 3.5” LCD screen
- It crops images at times
- The footage can only be converted to JPEG
Wolverine Titan 8-in-1 High-Resolution Film to Digital Converter – The Perfect Device to Preserve Your Memories Easier and Faster Than Ever
Packed with a screen that’s larger than other digitizers in the market, this device delivers a high resolution of 5472 X 3648 pixels in a couple of seconds. The Wolverine Titan 8-in-1 High-Resolution Film to Digital Converter has a larger screen compared to other digitizers and is armed with a small USB slot and HDMI TV output. When it comes to diversity, the gadget also supports the conversion of various film types, such as 127mm, 8mm, 35mm, APS format, 126mm, and 110mm.
You’ll be pleased to learn that the converter comes with speed-load adapters that are a beast in ensuring fast and seamless scanning. The footage is then stored in JPEG format in an SD card or its internal memory. The swift conversion can be attributed to the device’s LED backlight single operation.
The converter is the perfect option if you’re looking for a stand-alone system that gets the job done in seconds courtesy of the unique speed-load adapters. It’s easy to use and allows you to save the converted footage to a memory card or its internal memory. However, the Wolverine Titan 8-in-1 High-Resolution Film to Digital Converter is ideal for well-lit footage as it distorts the color balance of darker footage.
- Digitizes films in a couple of seconds
- Straightforward to use
- Comes with a large 4.3” LCD color screen
- Supports the conversion of various film types
- Contains speed-load adapters for quick and seamless scanning
- Armed with a small USB port and HDMI TV output
- Distortion of color balance with darker footage
- More suitable for well-lit footage
Magnasonic All-in-One High-Resolution 22MP Film Scanner – A Superb Product That Delivers Impressive Results
Are you seeking a product that’s all about convenience? Then you can call off your search because the Magnasonic All-in-One High-Resolution 22MP Film Scanner is here to swoop in and save the day. It’s packed with a 2.4-inch LCD color monitor for previews.
Armed with a memory card slot, this device gives you more storage for your digital images. Along with a video-out TV cable, the handy gadget churns out digital footage in less than 5 seconds which is nothing short of impressive.
It outputs each 8mm film frame with a high resolution of 22MP courtesy of a plug-and-play interface. And, with no additional software required, the process doesn’t get any easier and faster than this. The Magnasonic All-in-One High-Resolution 22MP Film Scanner pre-installed film files eliminate the need for editing software.
It’s a beast in effortlessly converting 35mm, 8mm, 110mm, 126mm, and Super 8 film negatives into premium resolution JPEG images. Courtesy of the inbuilt 128MB memory, you can save up to 100 images onto the handy device. Nonetheless, the 2.4-inch view screen is small, compared to other options in the market. And, it only converts images. So, you may want to look elsewhere if your goal is to convert any footage.
- Comes with 128MB inbui8lt memory
- Eliminates the need for editing and any additional software
- Outputs high-resolution 22MP images
- Contains an SD card slot
- Facilitates seamless and swift conversion
- Delivers results in less than 5 seconds
- The JPEG images may at times be grainy
- The view screen is small
8mm & Super 8 Reels to Digital MovieMaker Film Scanner – The Dynamic Duo of Versatility and Excellent Quality
It’s a no-brainer that your 8mm and Super 8 films that are tucked away in your attic or garage are degrading by the day. However, this high-quality device is the Holy Grail that’ll allow you to relive those beautiful memories.
The 8mm & Super 8 Reels to Digital MovieMaker Film Scanner, comes with a 32GB memory card, USB cable, and TV cable slots. This makes the sharing, editing, and saving of these wonderful memories, a breeze. A power adaptor and cleaning cloth are also part of the package. So, you can kick-off the conversion process right off the bat without needing the help of other tools.
It’s the go-to product if you’re looking to convert Super 8 and 8mm films into topnotch quality digital footage. The 8mm & Super 8 Reels to Digital MovieMaker Film Scanner, is easy to operate and is compatible with Mac, Windows, and Linux PCs. However, the 2.4-inch full-color LCD is small compared to other devices.
- Compatible with Linux, Windows, and Mac operating systems
- It has a power adaptor and cleaning cloth
- Fast conversion rate of 30 frames per second
- Easy to operate
- Comes with a TV cable, USB cable, and SD card
- The 2.4-inch full-color LCD screen is small
KODAK Mini Digital Film & Slide Scanner – Film to Digital Conversion Made Easy and Affordable
It’s the mini version of the KODAK SCANZA mentioned above. So, with a 2.4-inch LCD screen and a 32GB memory slot, the KODAK Mini Digital Film & Slide Scanner is cheaper but gets the job done. It also comes with the same 14-Megapixel CMOS sensor as the SCANZA counterpart and has the uncanny ability to scan 8mm, 135mm, 110mm, Super 8, and 126mm, films.
Despite the absence of adapter trays and slide inserts to safely load the films, the KODAK Mini Digital Film & Slide Scanner is a standalone device. Therefore, it doesn’t require connectivity to another device to function.
If you’re seeking an affordable solution that steps up to the plate, the KODAK Mini Digital Film & Slide Scanner is one of the best 8mm film converters. However, if you want a device with larger screen size and can convert films to videos, then you may want to consider other options.
- Standalone device
- Can scan 8mm and other film types
- Requires no prior experience to setup
- Comes with a 32GB SD card slot
- Only supports film conversion to JPEG images
Investing in the best 8mm film to digital conversion equipment comes with a set of perks, as discussed below.
Prevent the Loss of Data
8mm films are fragile and are susceptible to disintegration or damage with time. Once this happens, the memories are lost forever. So, if your goal is to salvage them, then a digital converter is your best bet.
Prevent the Challenge of Finding the Perfect Fit to Play 8mm Films
It’s no secret that new technologies replace the old ones at an astronomically high rate. So, 8mm films are no different. Gadgets like projectors that are needed to watch your film are becoming a rarity in the market. A few years down the road, they’ll be obsolete. So, by converting your 8mm film to a digital format, you can relive those precious memories on nearly all devices.
By converting 8mm to a digital format, you can easily make copies and share them with others in the blink of an eye. When it comes to convenience, this beats using a generic projector.
8mm films sit on reels thereby occupying a significant amount of space. However, converting them to a digital format doesn’t occupy physical space because they can be stored on the cloud. As a result, there’s no hassle of protecting the delicate 8mm films from damage.
Below is some insightful information that’ll aid in choosing the best 8mm film to digital conversion equipment.
What are the different types of 8mm films? – Before hastily choosing a product, keep in mind that 8mm films fall into 4 categories.
- Standard 8mm film: It came about before the First World War and refers to the measurement of a film strip’s width.
- Double 8: It comes about when the standard 8mm film is developed then split down the middle. Doing so results in two lengths of 8mm film, hence the name double 8. So, these are essentially 16mm films.
- Super 8: Launched in 1965, the Super 8 is an upgrade from the standard 8mm and Double 8 films. Super 8 film is also 8mm wide but has different dimensions. Its rectangular perforations along the edge are smaller, which means a larger area is exposed.
- Single 8: Introduced by Japan’s Fujifilm in 1965, it’s an alternative to the Super 8 films. And it has a thinner film.
Does an 8mm film have sound? – If you have the archaic 8mm films the chances of them having sound are slim to none. Nonetheless, you can check the magnetic strip to confirm whether or not the edge with the sprocket holes is layered with copper or gold. If so, then the chances of the 8mm having sound are high.
What digital formats are compatible with 8mm film conversion? – You can take your pick from MP4, JPEG, MOV, and AVI as they’re compatible with web sharing with your loved ones.
Should you clean your 8mm film before using a digital converter? – Yes! While the old film was tucked away somewhere, it probably gathered dust and is dry. So, for optimum results, clean it before digitizing it with your respective converter.
What’s the best way to clean an 8mm film? – Fold a silicon cloth like a pad then clean both sides of your 8mm film. But, do so gently to avoid breaking or damaging the film.
The Bottom Line
With the advent of technology, the only way to pass on the amazing memories is by investing in the top 8mm film to digital converters. While selecting just one can have you entangled in a web of confusion, our reviewed products make your search a breeze.
On the flip side, some of your converted footage may not have sound. Nonetheless, getting half the pie is better than no pie. Don’t wait for tomorrow and risk losing your priceless memories forever. Order a digital converter today!
Did we leave out any impressive digital converters? Let us know in the comments below. We’d love to hear from you.
Related Buying Guide