Top 10 Best Cooling Hats (Airflow Mesh)
You don’t have to spend the sweltering summers with your face a few inches away from the fan or constantly splashing cold water on your neck.
Instead, you can purchase some of the best cooling hats and go about your day unbothered by the bouts of heat-induced discomfort. There’s a myriad of them in the market, ranging from water-activated headbands, and evaporative sun hats to cooling skull caps.
Unlike other types of clothing, headwear is one of the most effective means to cool down because of its position on your body. Did you know that your head is one of the fastest cooling spots?
If you’ve been seeking the best options to buy, it’s time to call off your search because we’ve reviewed the best cooling hats in the market. Read on!
The Best Cooling Hats
Ergodyne Cooling Ranger Hat 8935CT
||View on Amazon|
Columbia Unisex Bora-Bora II Booney Hat
||View on Amazon|
Home Prefer Men’s UPF 50+ Sun Protection Cap
||View on Amazon|
LETHMIK Fishing Sun Boonie Hat
||View on Amazon|
Wipkal 2019 New Cooling Hat
||View on Amazon|
HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling Sport Cap
||View on Amazon|
Mission Vapor Active Cooling Skull Cap
||View on Amazon|
The pulse points around your ears, neck, and temples can cool down your body in a jiffy. And, this can be attributed to the closeness of the blood vessels to your skin’s surface.
But, what characterizes the best cooling headwear? They have the uncanny ability to retain cold moisture next to the skin or the evaporation of sweat and heat from it. What’s even better is that some of the best products in the market do both.
They also go the extra mile of protecting your head and shoulders from the dreaded sunburn.
Table of Contents
- 1 Ergodyne Cooling Ranger Hat 8935CT – The Perfect Solution for Fast Cooling Relief
- 2 Columbia Unisex Bora-Bora II Booney Hat – A Must-Have for UV Protection and Moisture Wicking
- 3 Home Prefer Men’s UPF 50+ Sun Protection Cap – The Go-To Option for Ultimate Versatility and Sun Protection
- 4 LETHMIK Fishing Sun Boonie Hat – The Perfect Combo of Style, Comfort, and Quality
- 5 Wipkal 2019 New Cooling Hat – Stay Cool, and UV Protected All Summer
- 6 HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling Sport Cap – A Must-Have for Combined Protection from the Sun and Cooling Relief
- 7 Mission Vapor Active Cooling Skull Cap – An Excellent Solution to Remain Cool, Dry and Comfortable
- 8 The Buying Guide
- 9 FAQ
- 10 The Bottom Line
Ergodyne Cooling Ranger Hat 8935CT – The Perfect Solution for Fast Cooling Relief
If you’re looking for efficiency and affordability rolled into one, then this hat is your go-to. It’s armed with vented mesh on the side panels that are a beast in increasing the airflow underneath, thereby making breathing easier. The Ergodyne Cooling Ranger Hat is easy to use. So, all you have to do is run it under the water for a couple of minutes.
Then, twirl it in the air, and it’s ready to get the job done. Its wide rims protect not only your face but also your entire body from the sun. Made from durable polyester material, the hat can last up to 4 hours with just one soak after which you’ll only need to re-soak it to increase the duration.
If you’re looking for a product that’s durable, easy to use and has a long cooling effect, then the Ergodyne Cooling Ranger Hat is ideal. While it comes in vibrant green and red colors that can brighten up your day, it’s not fashion-forward.
- Comes in vibrant red and green colors
- Easy to use
- Made from durable polyester
- It’s not stylish
Columbia Unisex Bora-Bora II Booney Hat – A Must-Have for UV Protection and Moisture Wicking
Designed from Omni-wick material, this cooling hat has unbeatable sweat-wicking capabilities. Furthermore, it’s armed with the Omni-shade UPF 50 technology that aids in blocking as much as 98% of the most hazardous Ultraviolet rays. The Columbia Unisex Bora-Bora II Booney hat has a mesh vent that induces a soothing breeze that keeps you cool and protected during the long hours, outdoors. The toggle at the back coupled with the adjustable draw-cord makes the hat a snug fit.
Stroll for miles through the desert or the beach with the Columbia Bora-Bora Booney II Hat. The adjustable draw-cord and toggle at the back facilitate a perfect fit. Nonetheless, it’s overpriced.
- Fits comfortably
- Blocks up to 98% of Ultra-Violet rays
- It has an adjustable draw-cord that holds it in place
- Comes with topnotch sweat-wicking capabilities
- Suitable for men and women
- The brim is floppy
Home Prefer Men’s UPF 50+ Sun Protection Cap – The Go-To Option for Ultimate Versatility and Sun Protection
When it comes to uniqueness, this hat has a neck flap that you won’t find in the other options that have littered the market. While it may not be considered stylish, it certainly gets the job done by offering extra protection for your neck.
Designed from sturdy and durable polyester material, the Home Prefer Men’s UPF 50+ Sun Protection Cap dries in a jiffy and is breathable. Furthermore, it has the uncanny ability to withstand harsh weather conditions, making it suitable to wear, all year round.
Being lightweight, the hat providers maximum-packed comfort and has a removable chin strap that secures it in place. The wide mesh brims come in handy for cooling airflow around the crown of your head. The hat also utilizes UPF 50+ technology which offers optimum sun protection. It’s perfect for camping, hiking, cycling, fishing, and gardening.
If you’re on the quest for versatility, affordability, durability, and functionality rolled into one, then this product is an ideal option. Moreover, when it comes to aesthetics, the hat is available in different colors that can brighten up your day. Nonetheless, it comes in a large size that doesn’t fit everyone.
- Provides UPF 50+ Sun Protection
- Comes with a neck flap
- Ideal for various outdoor activities
- Has wide mesh brims for cooling airflow
- Can withstand harsh weather conditions
- Comes in a big size
LETHMIK Fishing Sun Boonie Hat – The Perfect Combo of Style, Comfort, and Quality
If you’re going on a Safari, then this cooling hat was designed with you in mind. Made from waterproof and durable polyester material, the LETHMIK Fishing Sun Boonie Hat is also ideal for rainy weather. It also comes with UPF 50+ technology which makes it undefeated in sun protection.
The hat’s durable polyester material makes it easily foldable, which enhances portability. And, it comes in a uniform size that fits all.
The LETHMIK Fishing Sun Boonie Hat is the perfect balance of beautiful, durable, soft, and lightweight. It provides excellent protection from the sun’s UV rays, which makes it ideal for exhilarating outdoor activities. However, it’s not suitable for brush wash or machine wash.
- Designed from durable polyester material
- Provides UPF 50+ sun protection
- Ideal for rainy weather
- Easily foldable
- One size fits all
- It’s not machine washable
Wipkal 2019 New Cooling Hat – Stay Cool, and UV Protected All Summer
Designed from topnotch nylon material, the hat blocks 99% of the harmful UV rays that would otherwise penetrate your skin. As a bonus, you get a refreshing cooling effect during the sweltering summers. The Wipkal 2019 New Cooling Hat is foldable which makes it a walk in the park to transport it from one place to another. It’s also lightweight and easy to use as all you have to do is splash some water on it, and you’re good to go. The cooling hat is ideal for an array of outdoor activities such as boating, camping, hiking, and touring.
It’s the go-to product if you’re looking for to stay protected from the sun’s UV rays while remaining cool for hours. What’s even better is that you get two hats at the price of one. Nonetheless, the hat is slightly big for most people.
- Made from premium and lightweight nylon material
- Perfect for outdoor activities
- Blocks 99% of UV rays
- Easily foldable
- Comes in a 2 in 1 pack
- The hats are big for most people
HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling Sport Cap – A Must-Have for Combined Protection from the Sun and Cooling Relief
Built from phenomenal dual-strategy cooling technology, this cap combines the inner and outer and layers of HyperKewl material and waterproof nylon, respectively. As a result, the cap’s inside cools your skin down whereas the outer side keeps moisture at bay. Therefore, the perfect blend of these fabrics makes the product ideal for hiking, running, and other activities that involve you working up a sweat. With each soak of the cap in water, the nylon and HyperKewl materials remain cool for up to 12 hours.
The cap offers effective cooling for each sport or outdoor activity, such as running, hiking, or cycling. Its fabric ensures you remain cool and dry for up to 12 hours. However, it’s not suitable for those that reside in humid areas.
- Made from HyperKewl material and waterproof nylon
- Keeps you dry and cool for up to 12 hours
- Provides maximum-packed sun protection
- Easy to use
- Ideal for outdoor activities
- Comes in a standard size
- Not suitable for use in humid areas
Mission Vapor Active Cooling Skull Cap – An Excellent Solution to Remain Cool, Dry and Comfortable
If brimmed or baseball caps aren’t your thing, then this sleek skull cap is a low-profile way to remain cool. The Mission Vapor Active Cooling Skull Cap achieves its stellar cooling system by utilizing Vapor Active fabric that absorbs sweat and moisture in a jiffy. In turn, this keeps you cool and dry.
It also has the uncanny ability to absorb odor-causing molecules, thereby diminishing bacteria and smells. Being a snug fit under helmets and hats, it’s a foolproof way of protecting your head without overheating, when the sweltering summers roll around.
It’s the go-to solution that keeps stinging sweat away from your eyes when you’re delighting in fun outdoor activities. The Mission Vapor Active Cooling Skull Cap also utilizes the patented 37.5 technology which absorbs sweat or moisture, thereby keeping you dry and cool. However, those with larger heads may find it too tight to wear.
- Utilizes patented 37.5 technology that keeps you cool and dry
- Designed with mesh to boost airflow
- Machine washable
- Comfortable to wear
- Traps odor-releasing molecules
- Comes in one size that fits all
- It’s a tight fit for larger heads
The Buying Guide
Below are some of the main aspects to take into consideration when buying a cooling hat. After all, the last thing you need is to fritter away your hard-earned money on a flimsy product.
1. UV Protection
The best cooling hat provides topnotch UV protection which safeguards your eyes against cataracts, your skin from melanoma, and premature aging. There are two aspects of UV protection that you should look out for in a cooling hat.
- UPF: It’s an acronym for the Ultra-Violet Protection factor. UPF computes the quantity of Ultra-Violet Radiation that may seep through your clothing and penetrate your skin.
- SPF: It’s an acronym for Sun Protection Factor and is contained in sunscreen lotions, creams, and other cosmetics. It measures the duration it takes before the sun protection wears offs and burns your skin.
The cooling hat’s fabric which implies the tightness of the weaving material along with the color, impacts the UPF.
While it’s easily overlooked, color plays a role in cooling hats. Light colors are excellent reflectors of UV rays. So, cream, beige, or white is an ideal choice. Other alternatives you can try out are light olive, tan, or grey. You can include a splash of vibrant colors at the rim or band of the hat to sprinkle a touch of style.
Choosing a dark color like black that’s an exceptional heat absorber will make your head hotter instead of cooler. In turn, you may suffer from heat-induced headaches or migraines.
3. Weaving Tightness
The tighter a cooling hat’s weaving is, the better for you. Flimsy straw hats with gaping holes in them, look appealing. But what you may not realize is that they attract a significant amount of moisture and pave the way for the sun’s rays to seep through. So, this means less protection for you. For harsh weather, opt for a cooling hat with a tight weaving and a considerable UPF rating for excellent sun protection. To know a hat’s UPF rating, keenly read its description.
Keep an eye out for tightly woven, breathable material that’s found in the best cooling hats. They’re made from premium nylon, polyester, partly or pure cotton and offer maximum-packed sun protection while keeping you cool. As a bonus, they’re lightweight and impressively comfortable to wear. They’re also easily foldable which enhances their portability.
Having adjustable cords and straps to aid in a snug fit of the hat is a great idea. Furthermore, a chin strap also helps secure the cooling hat in place when it’s hit by a strong wind. Looking dorky in your cooling hat should be the least of your worries. The best hats contain straps. So, every smart person who’s engaging in outdoor activities or just basking in the sun wears one. There’s the option of tucking the strap inside the hat, so it’s not visible.
Statistics show that every hour, two people in the U.S die from skin cancer. So, one of the best ways to avoid falling victim to this is by sun protection. This involves buying a cooling hat that’s at least 3 inches wide to shield you from the sun.
The best cooling hats are armed with a moisture-wicking lining that keeps your head and face dry. So, when you put on your cooling hat over your wet hair after some R&R in the pool, it’ll draw it up and away from you.
The best cooling hats are foldable, compressible and crunchable, thereby enhancing portability when you want to travel with them. Having a cooling hat is essential when traveling to a hot area. It’s, therefore, a great idea to invest in one that’s easy to ball up like newspaper and pile onto your luggage.
9. Intended Purpose
The type of cooling hat to buy should be based on the type of outdoor activities you plan to engage in. For instance, sightseeing, camping, fishing, boating, or hiking. If you are zipping in between islands on a boat or hiking on steep terrain, then you need a hat that won’t fall off your head. So, opt for hats that have topnotch chin straps or an inbuilt tightener. Alternatively, if you’re just enjoying some R&R at the beach, then a simple cooling hat will suffice. Nonetheless, ensure that you layer on good quality sunscreen for maximum skin protection.
Let’s explore some of the most frequently asked questions concerning cooling hats and skin protection from the sun.
1. Why do the sun’s Ultra-Violet rays cause sunburn? – They damage the skin’s DNA which results in the unsightly repercussions known as sunburn. So, excessive exposure to the sun is sufficient to inflict harm on your skin within a few minutes.
2. Is sunburn regarded as a disease? – Yes! It’s a condition that needs immediate medical attention. Dehydration, dizziness, and nausea are the most common side effects of sunburn. In severe cases, you may experience nausea.
3. Can the best cooling hat shield you from sunburn? – Yes! Investing in a topnotch cooling hat prevents sunburn as it’s built for that purpose. So, it deflects the sun’s hazardous rays away from your delicate skin. If you spend a lot of your time outdoors in the scorching sun, then a good cooling hat is a must-have.
4. Why should you buy a cooling hat to be shielded from the sun? – Other than keeping sunburn at bay, below are other reasons why the best cooling hat is a worthy investment.
- Sunspots: Synonymous with Lentigines, sunspots stem from excessive sun exposure. They’re characterized by flat brown spots that are peppered on your body. With increased sun exposure, sunspots become darker.
- Skin Cancer: The key to preventing it is by giving your skin some TLC, which includes avoiding direct sun exposure. So, by purchasing an excellent cooling hat, you can prevent this exposure.
- Damaged Skin Cells: Excessive sun exposure is harmful to your skin cells. Furthermore, even the slightest sunburn can be detrimental to these cells.
5. What are vital some sun protection tips? – A few foolproof ways to shield your skin from the sun’s hazardous rays are:
- Whenever possible, avoid overexposure of your skin to the sun, particularly between 10 am and 4 pm. These are the times when the sun’s rays are the most harmful.
- Closely monitor the UV index that’s usually part of the daily weather report, if you plan on unwinding outdoors.
- Throw on the best cooling hat coupled with long-sleeved clothes that protect your face, neck, and other parts of your body from the sun’s harmful rays.
The Bottom Line
Going on holiday is always thrilling. However, without the essentials like a cooling hat and sunscreen, things can quickly take a turn for the worse when you face severe sunburn. So, taking care of your skin is recommended, especially when enjoying the great outdoors. Purchasing any of the cooling hat selections mentioned above is a surefire way of protecting your skin.
Are there any cooling hats that we’ve left out? Would you like to give feedback? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below.