Top 10 Best Photo Scanners (With Auto Feeder) – Reviews
Do you want it to scan photos as well as other documents? Do you want it to be a multi-tasking unit?
We’ve put together this buying guide to help inspire and inform your buying decisions.
Top 10 Photo scanners with automatic feeder
Epson FastFoto FF-680W
|View on Amazon|
Fujitsu PA03656-B005 Image Scanner ScanSnap iX500
|View on Amazon|
Kodak Scanmate i1150 1664390 Document Scanner
|View on Amazon|
Ambir nScan 940gt High-Speed ADF Scanner
|View on Amazon|
Canon imageFORMULA DR-C225 II Office Document Scanner
|View on Amazon|
Xerox DocuMate 3125 Duplex Scanner
|View on Amazon|
Plustek Photo Scanner
|View on Amazon|
Doxie Go SE
|View on Amazon|
ClearClick Photo & Document Scanner
|View on Amazon|
Brother Mobile Color Page Scanner
|View on Amazon|
Table of Contents
- 1 Epson FastFoto FF-680W – Best auto feeding photo scanner overall
- 2 Fujitsu PA03656-B005 Image Scanner ScanSnap iX500 – Organization with the Touch of a Button
- 3 Kodak Scanmate i1150 1664390 Document Scanner – Handles a Full Range of Tasks
- 4 Ambir nScan 940gt High-Speed ADF Scanner – Compact and Hard-Working
- 5 Canon imageFORMULA DR-C225 II Office Document Scanner – Space-Saving Scans to the Cloud
- 6 Xerox DocuMate 3125 Duplex Scanner – Compact and Powerful Photo Scanning
- 7 Plustek Photo Scanner – Sleek and Streamlined Photo and Document Scanning
- 8 Doxie Go SE – Battery Powered Scanner Featuring Portability and Convenience
- 9 ClearClick Photo & Document Scanner – Create Digital Documents and Photos Seamlessly
- 10 Brother Mobile Color Page Scanner – Quick, Compact, and Lightweight Scanning
- 11 Buying Guide & Frequently Asked Questions
- 12 Final words
Epson FastFoto FF-680W – Best auto feeding photo scanner overall
Are you working on a large-scale photo scanning project? If so, the Epson FastFoto FF-680W Wireless High-Speed Photo and Document Scanning System are perfect for the job.
The main reason is that is can scan as fast as one photograph per second. Many have noted that this scanner is the fastest in the market.
It will also handle any stack of photo scanning project you’re working on.
No matter if you want to scan Polaroids, panoramas, postcards, of photographs that are up to 8.5″ wide, this model can handle those tasks. You can also share, organize, and enlarge photos as well. With this kind of versatility, it’s possible to work on and complete any photo project in one afternoon.
If you need to scan documents, this unit will also handle those tasks. It will scan receipts, tax documents, contracts, wills, and more with a page speed up to forty-five per minute. It’s small size, with measures at 11.7″ x 6.7″ x 6.9,” allows this machine to tuck away easily when not in use.
The scanner’s pieces will fold in, making it compact and out-of-the-way in between projects.
- Fastest photo scanner on the market
- Easily enlarge photographs
- Scans both sides of photographs and documents automatically
- Easily scan to the cloud
- Automatically restores and organizes photos and documents
- Users report quality issues with photo scanning
- Some consumers have issues with the software
- Only compatible with DropBox or Google Photos
- Unable to organize photos or documents after scanning is complete
- Naming files isn’t possible after scanning is complete
Fujitsu PA03656-B005 Image Scanner ScanSnap iX500 – Organization with the Touch of a Button
Are you interested in scanning your photos and documents to the cloud? The Fujitsu PA03656-B005 Image Scanner ScanSnap iX500 with automatic feeder allows users to create editable PDF documents and so much more.
It’s an intuitive system allowing users to access their documents anytime and anywhere. Scanning to either a cloud service or PC happens seamlessly. The best part is there’s no need for a computer or mobile device. With the press of the scan button, each scan will automatically separate into business cards, documents, photos, or receipts and send to a cloud service that’s been predetermined.
Businesses find this photo scanner with auto feeder useful because, in addition to being budget-friendly, it’s quick menu is intuitive and user-friendly. If you’re using this at home for scanning photos or other documents, the carrier sheet helps when working on larger projects.
- Works with a Wi-Fi connection
- No need for a computer or mobile device
- Displays “favorite” or “recommended” scanning destinations
- Carrier sheet allows users to scan large documents and photographs
- Quick and easy organizational tools
- Users report blurring and oversaturation when scanning photos
- Has issues connecting to some versions of MAC PCs
- Some users are having issues with bugs frequently occurring during use
- Page slanting during scans is a problem many are facing
- This scanner is an expensive unit.
Kodak Scanmate i1150 1664390 Document Scanner – Handles a Full Range of Tasks
Even though working on photograph projects may be your priority, having a scanner that handles more than one task is optimal in many businesses and households.
When you’re looking for a machine that will handle a wide variety of projects, the Kodak Scanmate i1150 1664390 Document Scanner is a great choice.
The main reason is that it will scan hard cards and IDs in addition to performing other scanning tasks. So, if you need to attach your identification to an email or create a PDF from other documents, it’s no problem with this unit.
Not only is it beneficial for those working in office settings, but this scanner is useful at home as well. For example, if you need to send proof of insurance or your identification to your bank, medical provider, or another company, this scanner will help you with that task. The graphics display helps users avoid and resolve errors in a straightforward manner.
- Performs up to nine tasks
- Protects documents from paper jams
- View number of documents scanned instantly
- Runs quietly
- High-speed and efficient
- Users report that this scanner is not compatible with MAC
- Paper shooting out of the unit instead of feeding back in
- Has difficulty grabbing receipts
- Thin paper jams in the machine
- It’s a pricey scanner
Ambir nScan 940gt High-Speed ADF Scanner – Compact and Hard-Working
One of the most significant benefits of the Ambir ImageScan Pro 820ix (DS820ix-AS) High-Speed Duplex Document and ID Scanner is its size. It’s approximately the size of the toaster.
That means, no matter if you’re using it at home or in the office, it won’t take up much room on your desktop. The next benefit is its speed and versatility.
This scanner will scan and store up to forty pages per minute! That’s a lot when you’re running a busy office or working from home on a tight deadline. The versatility of this unit includes being able to handle scanning insurance cards, identification, and other bulk scanning tasks.
It’s efficient in the fact that it has duplex scanning. That means, if you need to scan both sides of a document or photograph, it will do this in a single pass.
So, if you’re scanning a photograph that has notes on the other side, those cherished memories won’t get lost in the scanning process. It will also automatically name image and document files.
- Compact and fits neatly in the corner of desktops
- Handles bulk scanning seamlessly
- TWAIN driver ensures software compatibility
- Professional grade quality
- Handles up to 6,000 pages per day
- Not compatible with MAC
- Only supports Windows 7/8/10
- Doesn’t input information into files like other scanners
- Isn’t a wireless unit
- This scanner is a pricey model
Canon imageFORMULA DR-C225 II Office Document Scanner – Space-Saving Scans to the Cloud
Going digital doesn’t have to be an overwhelming task, especially when you’re working with a machine like the Canon imageFORMULA DR-C225 II Office Document Scanner.
Its upright design with an automatic top feeder and ejector means you’ll hardly notice this unit on your desk or workspace.
No matter if you’re converting documents or photographs to PDFs or JPGs, scanning directly to the cloud occurs seamlessly. This scanner is compatible with Box, Dropbox, Evernote, Google Drive, OneDrive, QuickBooks Online, and more.
You can work with a variety of tasks, including scanning business cards, contracts, documents no matter their thickness or length, photographs, plastic cards, receipts, reports, and more.
Its broad compatibility means both MAC and Windows users can use this scanner with the TWAIN driver. Those who are working with either a MAC or PC will love that it scans up to twenty-five pages per minute and will also scan on both sides of the document.
- Compatible with MAC
- Compatible with Windows
- Compact and upright design
- Scans both sides of the document
- Scans up to twenty-five pages per minute
- MAC users aren’t receiving enough support
- Users report that it stops working for unknown reasons
- Doesn’t scan 11″ x 17″ documents
- It’s not a wireless model
- Low capacity page feeder
Xerox DocuMate 3125 Duplex Scanner – Compact and Powerful Photo Scanning
No matter if you want to scan color or black and white photographs, it’s a breeze with the Xerox DocuMate 3125 Duplex Scanner. This compact desktop scanner measures 11.20” x 6.5” x 6.7,” making it possible to fit comfortably in the corner of any size desk.
Because it’s compatible with MACs and PCs and has a fifty-page auto-document page feeder that scans seventy duplex pages per minute, this unit is optimal for business and home use.
When you’re scanning images and photographs through the auto feeder, the Visioneer Acuity software will automatically improve its quality. It’s also possible to create editable documents and searchable PDF files as well.
Because it has nine presets, that means users can easily work with their favorite applications when scanning on one or both sides of documents or photographs. It’s sleek and compact design creates a cohesive and modern look in your home office or business environment.
- Sleek and compact design
- Compatible with MAC and PC
- Scans both sides of the document
- Visioneer Acuity software improves image and photo quality
- Nine presets available for scanning to multiple applications
- Users report that the software runs slowly
- The scanner jams or feeds too many pages at once
- Consumers reporting the buttons not working correctly
- Scans coming out crooked for some users
- Some consumers report that this model isn’t user-friendly
Plustek Photo Scanner – Sleek and Streamlined Photo and Document Scanning
Are you looking for a simple way of scanning your documents and photographs? Transforming photographs into digital images doesn’t have to be an overwhelming or difficult task.
The Plustek Photo Scanner may be your answer when you’re looking for a straightforward way to tackle this project. In addition to scanning letter-sized documents, it also supports 3″ x 5,” 4″ x 6,” 5″ x 7,” and 8″ x 10″ photo scanning.
It takes two seconds to scan a 4″ x 6″ photo, and five seconds to scan an 8″ x 10″ photo. That makes quick work of clearing out boxes of old photos! It’s simple to convert thousands of photographs and documents into digital format in a single afternoon.
You simply insert the photos or documents into the scanner one-by-one into the auto-feeder. What this means is, this unit is more efficient in comparison to using a flatbed scanner.
Flatbed scanners don’t have an auto-feeder, and you have to continuously remove the pictures, add another, and so on before scanning the next. You’ll also find this scanner has powerful image enhancement functions as well.
So, if you’re scanning old or faded images, you can enhance and restore them with a few mouse clicks. This scanner is compatible with MAC and PC, and advanced editing functions are available.
- Scan multiple photograph sizes
- Photographs scan quickly
- More efficient than flatbed scanners
- Works with MAC and PCs
- Some users report an orange line running through the middle of scans
- Consumers report a black band scanning on one side
- When scanning PDFs, there’s no way to merge them into one file
• Other users note that it stopped working after one use without a real reason<
- Reports of intermittent crashes occurring
Doxie Go SE – Battery Powered Scanner Featuring Portability and Convenience
Who says you have to be chained to your desk or other work station when converting documents or photos to digital? You don’t have to be when using the Doxie Go SE. It’s a compact and multi-tasking scanner that will help you accomplish many tasks.
Not only does it have a rechargeable battery, but it’s also portable and will go with you anywhere. You don’t have to use your computer when scanning with this unit. That means you can scan from anywhere and at any time without needing to be in an office or plugged into anything.
That’s beneficial for those who want to take their auto feeding photography scanner to areas where photographs and other critical documents are stored. Full-color pages will scan in approximately eight seconds.
This scanner is about the size of a rolled up magazine. That means it will easily fit into messenger bags, backpacks, and briefcases. Because its battery will scan up to four hundred pages per charge and its memory will hold up four thousand pages before it needs to sync, this little device is excellent for on-the-go use.
Its software allows you to create searchable PFDs, and send scans directly to your favorite apps.
- Incredibly small and portable
- Rechargeable battery
- Expandable memory with an SD card
- Create searchable PDFs
- Auto-cropping makes every scan look amazing
- Consumers report compatibility issues with Windows 10
- Users report the rollers working at different speeds
- Other users had difficulty staying connected to WiFi
- Retrieving scans is an issue for some users
- Software loading correctly is a problem for some users
ClearClick Photo & Document Scanner – Create Digital Documents and Photos Seamlessly
Take your print life into digital format with just a few steps. You may not be ready to use a digital camera or smartphone yet. That doesn’t mean your precious photos and other documents can’t be protected from harm.
Digitizing them helps protect them from fire, water damage, and other issues. No matter if you want to work with documents or photographs, the ClearClick Photo & Document Scanner will help you convert them to digital format. The best part is this unit has a 1.45″ LCD preview screen on top, allowing you to see your scans.
So, if you’re not happy with what you’re seeing, you can run it through again until you see satisfactory results.
The auto-feeder accepts photographs and documents up to 8″ x 5″ wide and 47″ long.
There’s no need for a computer when scanning because everything saves to a 4 GB SD card. The memory card will hold up to 3,000 photographs and, once you sync them with your computer, it can be erased and reused.
Software is included for converting scans to text as well. You’ll need three AA batteries to run this scanner.
- Compact and portable
- LCD preview screen
- Expandable memory
- Memory holds up to 3,000 photographs
- The software converts scans to text
- Customers report poor customer service when experiencing issues
- Poor photo quality is an issue for some users
- Some users reported a large black line occurring through the center
- Consumers reported having issues with scans coming out at a slant
- Other users had issues with the cord not working
Brother Mobile Color Page Scanner – Quick, Compact, and Lightweight Scanning
Are you tired of having a desk full of contraptions, devices, and appliances? You’re not alone, but sometimes there’s a need for these pieces of technology—especially if you want to back up your photos and documents digitally.
Using a large scanner is no longer an issue, thanks to the Brother Mobile Color Page Scanner. This scanner measures 11.5″ long and only weighs one pound.
It scans up to eight pages per minute and if it’s scanning both sides, up to five pages per minute. For such a small device, that’s a quick turnaround time! You can easily scan business cards, documents, ID cards, photographs, receipts, and more.
The scanner will handle projects up to 8.5″ wide and 32″ long. It’s powered with a USB cord, so no wall jacks are required. So, all you have to do is plug it into your computer and you’re all set.
MAC, Linux, and Windows users can use this scanner with easy TWAIN compatibility. It’s possible to scan to email, FTP, a local file, a shared folder, or printer.
- Powered via USB cable
- Scans oddly shaped items
- Only weighs one pound
- Works with Windows, Linux, and MAC
- Fast and efficient
- Some MAC users had compatibility issues
- Despite calibrating, users experienced vertical streaks across scans
- Users made a note of the software posing problems
Buying Guide & Frequently Asked Questions
What too are the main things to look at when picking a photo scanner?
When picking out a photo scanner, there are several things to take into consideration beyond the price and brand name. You’ll also be looking at whether or not it’s compatible with your operating system.
For example, if you’re using a MAC, be sure that’s listed as being supported.
Next, look at the software the scanner is using. Do you need to load it with a CD? If so, that’s problematic for some users who are running a laptop that doesn’t have a CD-ROM.
Last is speed and versatility. These factors include how many pages the machine will scan per minute, what types of materials you can scan, and what happens after scanning is complete.
For example, can you edit the documents or restore photos? Are PDFs searchable and can you scan duplex? Each of these is essential when picking out a photo scanner.
To summarize, the main points are:
• Compatibility: be sure your operating system is supported.
• Software: if you don’t have a CD-ROM, make sure you can load the software from an Internet link.
• Speed and versatility: check for scanning speed, as well as your options for when they’re complete.
Can I use them to scan negatives as well?
When using a photo scanner, you’ll need additional software to work with negatives. An example of one of these software solutions includes SilverFast NegaFix.
These solutions help you convert your negatives into positives, make enhancements, and create beautiful digital photographs.
I need to scan photos in bulk, how many photos can I stack and scan in a row?
Being able to scan photographs in bulk depends on the unit you purchase. For example, you won’t be able to handle this task with Plustek Photo Scanner or ClearClick Photo & Document Scanner due to their design. However, the Epson FastFoto FF-680W Wireless High-Speed Photo and Document Scanning System allow you to scan large stacks of photos at one time.
This model will scan up to thirty photographs in one group.
There’s a wide variety of photo scanners available, each with their separate sets of pros and cons.
The majority of them work well as a multi-purpose unit. That means, if you would like to use them for scanning more than photographs, they’ll work well for handling a myriad of documents.
When you’re researching the best photo scanner, be sure it has all the features you’re looking for and that it’s compatible with your operating system. You’ll also find these photo scanners each have software requirements, and that not all of them require computer connections.
Related Buying Guides: