Top 3 Ways To Prevent Mail & Package Theft (Home Security)
Having your packages stolen from your porch is a serious letdown. Nothing is more frustrating than waiting for something that never arrives. In most cases, stolen packages are not recovered. Even worse, in many cases, victims are never reimbursed.
Whether you are having packages sent for the holidays or shipped year-round, protecting what you pay for is a must.
So how can you prevent mail and package theft? You can start by reading this guide.
Below, we will take a look at the top 3 proven methods to effectively protect your packages this holiday season and throughout the entire year. Let’s begin!
1. Invest in a Security Mailbox
Investing in a security mailbox may very well save you more money in the long run than any other mail protection method.
This is because they require little in the way of surveillance, upkeep, or effort on the part of the postal worker. These mailboxes are generally durable, easy to use, and USPS approved.
They work by allowing postal and delivery employees to easily insert mail or packages into a one-way slot. You will be able to open the box easily with a key.
It is very unlikely that anyone will try to take your mail when they can’t get into the box. Some mailboxes even come equipped with surveillance cameras.
Security mailboxes range in quality, size, material construction, and design. There are many different types of safety mailboxes that are designed to protect your packages and mail.
Some allow for small packages to be securely delivered while others have been designed for the protection of large packages. To take this a step further, you can also purchase parcel protection boxes that double as security mailboxes.
These boxes can be designed to use the same keys as your security mailbox and allow for delivery of medium to very large packages. Some parcel boxes and security mailboxes can even be accessed with WiFi so you can open them when delivery personnel is present.
We published a guide about the top 10 best security mailbox systems currently available to home owners
Advantages of Investing in a Security Mailbox
• USPS Approved – Many security mailboxes are USPS approved. A quick call to your local post office will answer questions about which mailboxes will work in your area.
• Easy to Maintain – These mailboxes are durable, dependable, and easy to maintain; they require little in the way of maintenance or upkeep.
• Cost Effective – A security mailbox is the type of investment that pays for itself over time. This is one of the most effective and budget-friendly ways to protect your incoming shipments, parcels, and mail.
• Dependable – These mailboxes are one of the only surefire options out there. They can be used year-round to keep your mail safe and secure.
Things to Keep In Mind if you Choose This Method
If you decide that a security mailbox or parcel protection box is the best delivery protection method for you, there are a few things you’ll want to do.
• You Should Alert Your Postal Worker – You will want to be sure that your local post delivery person knows how to operate your security mailbox. A simple pre-emptive call to the post office can ensure that the mailbox transition goes smoothly.
• Installation Must Be Correct – It’s important to ensure that you have installed your security mailbox correctly. Otherwise, someone might just try to take the whole box. You may need to rent or borrow a post hole digger so as to get your new mailbox properly stationed and positioned in the ground.
2. Install a Security Camera System
Another way that you can protect your packages is by investing in a security camera system. Today, these cameras can stream live to your smart devices so you can constantly keep an eye on your property.
Many cameras even come with motion detectors that can alert you when movement is detected as far as 100 feet away. Sensitive detectors can distinguish between cars, shadows, animals, and people.
With some cameras, you can also speak to people who are nearby. This would potentially allow you to interact with the delivery person as soon as they arrive and instruct them as to where to put packages.
If your packages do get stolen, you will be able to show the footage to local police. This tends to discourage instances of package theft from homes with visible security cameras.
Security camera systems can be easy to install as well. Many security cameras simply stick to the nearest stationary metallic objects by utilizing powerful magnet attachments; no installation hardware is even necessary. Security camera systems can be great for people who live on private lots or quiet in cul-de-sacs.
Advantages of Investing in a Security Camera System
• Stream Live – Most security systems allow you to stream live and view your property 24/7.
• Motion Detection – Smart motion detection cameras can identify human movement and alert you when someone enters or comes near your property.
• Versatile – A security camera system can do more than just protect your packages. These systems can be used to monitor your home in other ways.
• Easy to Install and Use – Many cameras install quickly and come with user-friendly applications that are easy to learn.
Things to Keep In Mind if you Choose This Method
Does buying a camera security system seem like a good plan? If this is the method that you like best, there are some things you should know.
• You May Need to Purchase a Subscription – Some if not most streaming security camera systems require a subscription after about a month. If you wish to save or use footage later, you will probably have to buy a cloud storage plan.
• WiFi May Be Required – If you want your security camera to give you a live feed away from home, you’ll probably need to have it connected to WiFi.
• You Can’t Always Prevent Loss – A security camera system doesn’t guarantee your packages will be safe. they simply show you what happened and where packages have gone. Their only deterrent factor comes from potential thieves being afraid to be caught on camera.
3. Customize Your Delivery
One free method of package protection involves the way that you order things and have them sent. The custom delivery adjustment method may be a bit complicated, though, in many situations, it’s effective.
The custom method involves a variety of flexible adjustments that must be made on the part of the package recipient.
It can work in many different ways. Below we will look at the three most common delivery customization methods.
The first way to protect your packages by customizing your delivery involves your initial purchase and shipping instructions. When you order a package, you may have the option to sign for it upon delivery.
Alternatively, when you send packages, you can require a delivery signature. This ensures that the packages aren’t left lying around to be picked up by any passerby.
This method does not always work, however.
Many companies ship packages through third parties that don’t allow for a recipient signature. If this method won’t work for you, you can try changing your address as a package is being shipped out.
If you have a package coming and know that you won’t be able to receive it, you can utilize USPS Intercept to change your address.
Simply call the post office, explain your situation, and change the delivery address of your package en route. This can help ensure that your packages arrive at a location where someone will be home to get them.
If all else fails, you can sometimes call and request that your packages be picked up at the delivery location. If you have had previous packages stolen, this may be the best way to keep your pail safe until a batter method can be determined.
Advantages of Customizing Your Delivery
• Flexible Solution – Your day to day circumstances may vary. Customizing your delivery can allow for flexibility and adjustments to be made to match your needs.
• Free – In many cases, package interception and custom delivery instructions are free.
Things to Keep In Mind if you Choose This Method
If you want to try to customize your delivery instructions to keep your packages safe, there are a few things you should consider.
• Your Requests May Be Ignored – You may have a fantastic team of delivery people in your area. You also may not. Sometimes, delivery instructions are simply disregarded meaning that your packages will be just as vulnerable as ever.
• A Signatures Can Be Forged – If you have required that a package is signed for, keep in mind that thieves who are in the right place at the right time can simply sign any name and take a package for their own. If they are bold enough to steal your mail, they’re probably also bold enough to sign a fake name.
• This Method Isn’t 100% Full Proof Opportunistic theft is the most common kind of theft. To keep your belongings safer, you want to remove potential opportunities. There is simply no way to anticipate every scenario, so customizing your delivery instructions doesn’t always work.
While protecting your packages can feel like a daunting task, there really are a few great ways to help ensure that parcel theft is prevented or at least dramatically reduced.
In our opinion, the best way to keep your packages safe is by utilizing a security mailbox or parcel box.
Simply install a quality security mailbox or drop off parcel box and make sure that delivery personnel agrees to use it. This is a method that can be used by pretty much anyone, anywhere and will save you time, energy and money.
We want to hear what you think. What methods have you used to keep your deliveries safe from potential theft? Please leave us your feedback and comments and let us know how you prevent mail and package theft in your neighborhood.